Questions or comments? Click here.
|July 2012, Issue 9|
|Dr. Jeffrey Crow Attends His Final NRAC Meeting Before Retirement|
|General Assembly Extends State Historic & Mill Tax Credits|
|National Rosenwald School Conference Celebrates "100 Years of Pride, Progress, and Preservation"|
|HPO Restoration Specialists Speak at Certified Local Government Training Workshop||Visit Us At:|
|HPO Western Office Services At-A-Glance|
|Durham Project at Golden Belt Manufacturing Company Qualifies for Rehabilitation Tax Credits|
At a reception held in the National Register-listed Salisbury Southern Railroad Passenger Depot on May 31, the Historic Salisbury Foundation honored forty-one individuals, craftsmen, and organizations within the community who had demonstrated excellence in the realm of historic preservation. Click here for more information about the awards celebration.
The National Trust Board of Trustees recently approved a recommendation to transition the National Trust Main Street Center to a new nonprofit subsidiary of the Trust, which will take place in 2013. Click here for more information.
The next National Register Advisory Committee(NRAC) Meeting is scheduled for October 11, 2012 at 10 AM, in the Cultural Resources Building, 109 E. Jones St., Raleigh
The HPO has added a new interactive map to its webpage! Not sure who is responsible for the “historic district” in your town? Visit our interactive map of local preservation commissions to find the one nearest you! Zoom and drag to find your community, and click on a map pin to bring up local commission staff contact information. The pins sometimes overlap in Google so keep zooming in until see your commission, especially if another commission is located nearby. You can also scroll through the list on the left (available if you follow the link to the map on Google’s site) and click the name of your commission to center the map on it and see who your neighbors are.
The Raleigh HPO office is shown in red. Local commissions have blue pins and certified local governments have green pins. Please note that you may have one commission in the city and another in the county. Also note that, as far as possible, the map pin is stuck on the physical location where the commission meets (or where staff has an office), but that this is not always the same as the mailing address in the pop-up.
If you are staff or a commission member, and wish to make a correction to the information in the map, please contact Rob Crawford, Preservation Commission Services/CLG Coordinator.
Lexington Memorial Hospital (Davidson County), prepared by A. Barrett, A. Neville, and J. Salmon, listed on 5/24/12
Lexington Memorial Hospital, completed and opened in 1946, is a symbol of civic engagement and the efforts of the community to have access to health care. It also is a distinctive local example of mid-twentieth century Art Deco/Art Moderne style, the work of prominent Greensboro, North Carolina, architect Charles Conrad Hartmann. The period of significance begins in 1946, when the hospital opened, and ends in 1961.
Newton Downtown Historic District (Catawba County), prepared by C. Griffith , listed on 5/1/12
The Newton Downtown Historic District is a cohesive collection of buildings organized around the Catawba County Courthouse square. The area served as Newton’s center of civic, social, and commercial activity throughout the district’s period of significance of ca. 1860 (the date of the oldest building in the district) to 1961. The collection of commercial, institutional, and residential buildings exhibit a variety of styles from Romanesque Revival to Spanish Colonial Revival and Commercial Style to Art Deco.
Recent additions to the NC National Register Study List, the the first step in NC towards nomination to the National Register, can be found here.
Loray Mill, in Gastonia, stood empty for 20 years with many proposed rehabilitation projects never coming to fruition. Recently, a Federal Housing Administration loan of more than $20 million from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has been approved. It will enable a $39 million rehabilitation of the textile mill building, which will be closely coordinated with the HPO's Restoration branch. Click here for more information.
June 1 - Ann Swallow visited the Waller-Joyner Farm (Forsyth County), an applicant to the NC Study List.
June 8 - Rob Crawford and HPO intern Maggie Johnson met with the Aberdeen Historic Preservation Commission to discuss landmark designation procedures.
June 21 - Claudia Brown, John Wood, and Scott Power met with a local Morehead City group to promote and discuss an architectural survey publication based on the countywide architectural survey of Carteret County recently completed by Ruth Little.
June 28 - Paul Fomberg and Michele Patterson-McCabe visited the Hoyle House (Gaston County), a 2011 CLG grant project, to check the status of the porch restoration and provide further restoration consultation.
June28 - Reid Thomas spoke to the Gates County Historical Society at their annual meeting in Corapeake. The annual meeting drew members from across Gates and surrounding counties as well as southeastern Virginia. The program focused on historic preservation in northeastern NC, as well as the services of the HPO, with a sampling of recent and successful private (grass-roots) and public projects from across the region. A portion of the PowerPoint program illustrated before and after ITA and NTA projects in the region, including Buckland Plantation, for which our office provided technical guidance in the early 1990s .
On May 8, Reid Thomas, Restoration Specialist in the Eastern Office, spoke to the Albemarle Area Association of Realtors about the rehabilitation tax credits and preservation activities in the northeast part of the state. Realtors were also invited to bring interested clients and investors.
Is this something your local realtors' organization or preservation commission might be interested in hosting? Contact Mitch Wilds, Restoration Branch head, for more information.
Dr. Jeffrey Crow attended the National Register Advisory Committee (NRAC) Meeting on June 14, his last NRAC meeting before his planned retirement in September 2012.
The Department of Cultural Resources Secretary Linda Carlisle, David Brook, the director of the Division of Historical Resources, the Committee, and the Survey and National Register branch staff of the HPO took the opportunity to thank Dr. Crow for his service to the National Register program and his active involvement with the work of the NRAC since 1995.
As part of his duties as the NC State Historic Preservation Officer, Dr. Crow participated in each of three annual NRAC meetings, frequently offering his perspective on the state's history and the eligibility of properties. Dr. Crow has been a vocal advocate for programs and services that support and rely on the National Register program in North Carolina.
A photograph of the Municipal Golf Course in Asheville, designed by Donald Ross in 1927, and listed in the Register in 2005, was presented to Dr. Crow to serve as a reminder of his professional contributions to the National Register program, as well as his personal interests. The view shown in the photo is a classic view of the course, from the top of the back nine with a mountain view to the southeast.When asked if he had ever thought of conducting a full survey of North Carolina's historic golf courses and adding them to the HPO's architectural survey database, Dr. Crow seemed amenable to such a worthy cause.
Dr. Crow (third from right), HPO Administrator Ramona Bartos(second from left), and the HPO National Register Staff
Department of Cultural Resources Secretary Linda Carlisle (standing) thanks Dr. Crow for his service.
Photographs by Bill Garrett
The Governor recently signed into law the extension for the State historic and mill tax credits to remain in effect through January 1, 2015. Click here and scroll to the last two items for the pertinent language from the General Assembly bill.
Rehabilitation of North Carolina's historic buildings increased dramatically following the 1998 expansion of the state tax credit for historic structure rehabilitation and the creation of the new state tax credit for historic mill rehabilitation that began in 2006. Since 1998 state and federal historic and mill credits have encouraged over $1.3 billion of private investments in over 2,000 projects.
NC Legislative Building
The North Carolina historic and mill tax credits provide jobs, bolster the tax base, and utilize existing buildings and infrastructure, while preserving the priceless historic character in communities large and small, rural and urban, across the state. The HPO administers the historic review for all rehabilitation projects that benefit from these innovative incentives.
Julius Rosenwald (left) and Booker T. Washington (right), from Wikipedia
Rosenwald School Locator Map, from History South website
Hamilton School, Martin County, circa 1920, from Fisk database
Hamilton School, Martin County, in 2009
Poster Session at the Rosenwald School Conference, a poster for Mars Hill Rosenwald School is shown in the background and author Betty Reed is to the right
The first national Rosenwald Schools conference was held in Tuskegee, AL, June 14-16. Sponsored by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and held on the campus of Tuskegee University, the conference celebrated the centennial of the Rosenwald School program developed by Tuskegee University’s founder, Booker T. Washington, and philanthropist, Julius Rosenwald. Highlights included an opening plenary session featuring Peter Ascoli, a grandson of Julius Rosenwald who published a scholarly biography of the philanthropist, and Robin Washington Banks, a granddaughter of Booker T. Washington, as well as dozens of educational sessions, workshops, and tours that provided opportunities for networking and practical guidance on topics ranging from the history of Rosenwald schools to building restoration, fund-raising, and adaptive uses of the schools and their maintenance.
Representatives of numerous Rosenwald schools in North Carolina were among the conference’s 350 registrants, including Carol Shields, who gave a presentation on the adaptive use of the Hamilton School in Martin County; Althea Williams-King, who talked about preservation of the Ware Creek School in Beaufort County; and Betty Reed, who participated in a poster session featuring a display on the Rosenwald impact in western North Carolina. Claudia Brown, HPO architectural survey coordinator, gave a presentation on the ongoing survey of North Carolina’s Rosenwald schools. Two documentaries produced in North Carolina were screened: Claudia Stack’s Under the Kudzu, which traces the history of two Rosenwald schools in Pender County, and Caroline Stephenson’s Children Go Where I Send You on the preservation of Mill Neck School in Hertford County.
The Rosenwald school building program was a major effort to improve the quality of public education for African Americans in the early twentieth-century South. In 1912, Julius Rosenwald gave Booker T. Washington permission to use some of the money he had donated to Tuskegee Institute for the construction of six small schools in rural Alabama, which were built in 1913 and 1914. Pleased with the results, Rosenwald then agreed to fund a larger program for schoolhouse construction based at Tuskegee. In 1917 he set up the Julius Rosenwald Fund, a Chicago-based philanthropic foundation that provided seed money for school construction and by 1920 also provided plans and specifications for state-of-the-art school buildings. By 1928, one in every five rural schools for black students in the South, housing one-third of the region's rural black schoolchildren and teachers, had received assistance from the Fund. At the program's conclusion in 1932, it had produced 4,977 new schools, 217 teachers' homes, and 163 shop buildings. North Carolina had the most Rosenwald Fund school projects with a total of 813.
Since 2001, the HPO has been coordinating a comprehensive survey of North Carolina’s Rosenwald schools. Unlike typical surveys of historic architecture, this project is documenting both extant school building and those that are no longer standing. So far, the HPO has compiled files on 283 Rosenwald schools (more than one-third of North Carolina’s projects), of which approximately 140 remain standing. Of the extant schools, 24 have been listed in the National Register of Historic Places and 41 are on North Carolina’s National Register Study List (properties that have been evaluated as potentially eligible for listing in the National Register).
For more information about the HPO Rosenwald school survey, contact Claudia Brown or visit our website where lists of HPO survey files on Rosenwald schools and North Carolina Rosenwald schools listed in the National Register of Historic Places and on the National Register Study List may be found.
For oral histories about two NC Rosenwald Schools and preservation success stories follow these links:
On Friday, June 22, Restoration Specialists Reid Thomas and Jeff Adolphsen spoke at the Bellamy Mansion Museum of History and Design Arts in Wilmington as part of a CLG training session sponsored by Wilmington Historic Preservation Commission as part of that organization's 50th anniversary.
LuAnn Monson, Preservation Planner for the City of Wilson, spoke about past public relations efforts of the Wilson Historic Preservation Commission that have helped to highlight historic preservation successes stories in that city. Reid Thomas discussed energy efficiency in historic buildings, explaining how those buildings functioned, past mistakes in attempting to improve energy efficiency, and current technology that can be used to improve energy efficiency. Jeff Adolphsen spoke about the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation and how the Standards should be interpreted when reviewing proposed work to historic buildings. Following the session, attendees toured the Bellamy Mansion and were able to view the current photographic exhibit of Tim Buchman's beautiful black and white photographs of North Carolina architecture.
Bird's-eye view of Bellamy Mansion, Wilmington
Photograph by Gene Ayscue, Bellamy Mansion Museum of History and Design Arts
The workshop was well attended and included commission members from Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, Warsaw, Thomasville, and Greensboro, as well as a consultant and representative from the Latimer House in Wilmington.
Thanks to the City of Wilmington and the Wilmington Historic Preservation Commission for sponsoring the workshop, the Bellamy Mansion Museum of History and Fine Arts for hosting the workshop, the speakers, and to Maggie O'Connor, Historic Preservation Planner for the City of Wilmington, for organizing the workshop.
If you are interested in hosting a similar local or regional commission training workshop, please contact Rob Crawford, Preservation Commission Services/CLG Coordinator.
HPO Service Regions Map
The HPO's Western Office, in Asheville, is staffed by Restoration Specialist Jennifer Cathey and Preservation Specialist Annie McDonald.
Annie, as the western representative for the Survey and National Register Branch, coordinates activities in five major program areas related to the preservation of historic structures in western North Carolina: (1) the statewide historic building survey, (2) the National Register of Historic Places program and the NC Study List (3) environmental review of state and federal projects that affect historic structures, (4) local historic preservation commissions, and (5) public information and assistance.
Jennifer, the Restoration Branch representative, provides technical assistance relating to architectural conservation of historic buildings and structures in western North Carolina. Major program areas include coordination of (1) state and federal preservation grant-in-aid projects, (2) federal and state rehabilitation investment tax credit programs, (3) review and monitoring of restoration and rehabilitation work on state-owned properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and (4) review and monitoring of federal or state funded or licensed projects which may affect National Register listed or eligible historic properties. Technical assistance is also provided to municipal and county governments, private citizens, and organizations who own historic buildings.
In addition, Western Office staff members administer federal Certified Local Government grant projects in the west. Three grants were awarded in the western region this year: a grant to write new design guidelines for the Waynesville Historic Preservation Commission; a grant for a National Register nomination for Oakdale Cemetery in Hendersonville; and a grant for a feasibility study for rehabilitation of the silo barns on the Western Piedmont Community College campus in Morganton.
Recently, Jennifer and Annie partnered with Main Street staff to provide a one-day workshop, in Hendersonville (Henderson County), for preservation commissions on decision-making, applying the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation to commercial projects, and identifying the characteristics of a vibrant and sustainable downtown. The following day, Jennifer was in Shelby (Cleveland County) for preservation trades day, which included presentations on "green" preservation, tax credits, energy efficient rehabilitation of historic structures, and local assistance for such things as energy audits, waste disposal, and permitting. Annie and Jennifer have also recently worked with Western Carolina University (WCU) to develop and promote a one-day program for preservation commissions, with Jennifer providing a survey of western North Carolina's architecture as a prelude to presentations by the Asheville-Buncombe County Historic Resources Commission and Rich Ducker on defensible decision-making.
Before (top) and after (bottom) rehabilitation
Durham developer Scientific Properties recently received final approval from the HPO and the National Park Service that the rehabilitation undertaken on the former Golden Belt Manufacturing Company building, in Durham, qualifies for historic preservation rehabilitation tax credits. The complex, part of the National Register listed Golden Belt Historic District and dating from 1902, was constructed as a textile mill initially producing bags for loose tobacco products.
In addition to qualifying for the federal historic tax credits, the $20 million project also qualified for the supplemental North Carolina historic mill rehabilitation tax credits. The LEED certified rehabilitated Golden Belt project encompasses over 150,000 square feet. The vibrant mixed-use, arts-focused campus now provides space for offices, housing, retail, and art studios.
Further information about this successful adaptive use project, which led to the transformation and revitalization of East Durham, may be found at www.goldenbeltarts.com.
Golden Belt Manufacturing Company interior view post-rehabilitation
Staff from three divisions collaborate on prepping the photos for the exhibit
Staff members hang the exhibit
Photographs by Mathew Waehner and Jessica Dockery
HPO and Archives Collaborate on New Photo Gallery by Tiffanie Manzanek
The bland white walls of the 2nd floor hallway of the Cultural Resources Building are a thing of the past, thanks to a collaborative effort of the State Archives of North Carolina, the HPO, and the North Carolina Division of State Historic Sites. It all started when Secretary Carlisle shared her vision with Sarah Koonts, State Archivist, and Ramona Bartos, HPO Administrator, to make the 2nd floor hall more visually appealing for our visitors and staff. From there Sarah contacted me and asked if I would help with this project; she mentioned that Kim Cumber, the Non-Textual Materials Archivist, would be a great person to have on the team. Ramona asked Bill Garrett, HPO photographer, to be the project lead from the HPO. It was decided that the two departments would each choose twenty images to give a well-rounded representation of our departments and our holdings, while beautifying the hallway.
We called Amy Sawyer, the Exhibit Design and Production Specialist at State Historic Sites, to ask for her expert advice with the project. Amy was a wealth of knowledge and assisted us in everything from the ordering of supplies to the framing and hanging of the images.
Thanks to this combined effort the 2nd floor hall has been transformed into a gallery of images that represent the extensive and diverse holdings of both the State Archives and the HPO, and expresses our beautiful and varied state.
A large thank you goes out to all those involved, from the HPO: Bill Garrett, Ramona Bartos, Claudia Brown, Michael Southern, and Mitch Wilds; from the State Archives: Sarah Koonts, Tiffanie Mazanek and Kim Cumber; and from State Historic Sites, Amy Sawyer.
Next time you are on the 2nd floor make sure you take a moment to enjoy the gallery.
Shiver Me Timbers! Restoration Specialist Reid Thomas has written an article on timber-frame construction in northeast North Carolina, a shorter version of which was published in Timber Frame Journal in 2007. “Brace” yourself for an “awl” inspiring look at early timber-frame buildings, de-”scribing” some “top-notch” conservation projects in northeastern North Carolina.
Click here for the full article.