MARCH 2012—Issue 5

FOLLOW US ….

To unsubscribe from this e-newsletter click here

Worth Saving

UPCOMING EVENTS:

Cornelius Revolutionary War Re-enactment

Edgecombe Community College Spring Courses

Statewide Historic Societies Events

Chinqua Penn Plantation Auction, Greensboro Coliseum Complex, April 25th—26th

National Register Advisory Committee Meeting June 14th at 10 am, Cultural Resources Building, 109 E. Jones St., Raleigh

WORKSHOPS & TOURS:

Edenton Historic Preservation Workshop—April 13th

TMH Hope Valley Modernist House Tour, Durham, April 14th

Traditional Building Conference at Graylyn International Conference Center in Winston-Salem, April 26th - 27th

National Alliance of Preservation Commissions Forum 2012 Norfolk, VA, July 18th—22nd

STATE CAPITOL BENEFITS FROM TRANSPORTATION ENHANCEMENT

State Capitol Benefits from Transportation Enhancement

The Newsletter of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office

The comprehensive survey of rural Beaufort County ran in two phases (north and south of the Pamlico River) from 2010 to 2012.  Approximately 525 properties were recorded.  The vast majority of houses surveyed were constructed during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.  In addition, churches, stores, fraternal buildings, farms and schoolhouses were documented.  Some of the more unusual property types identified included Voice of America Site A and two fire lookout towers, as well as a series of historic bridges, migrant labor camps, a Cold War fallout shelter and a grave house. On February 9, 2012, the N. C. National Register Advisory Committee approved thirty-six of the properties for the state’s National Register Study List.

IN THIS ISSUE:

2012 Historic Preservation Fund

The Perquimans County Restoration Association, Inc., works countywide to restore historic properties. Their March 17th workshop on the federal and state historic rehabilitation tax credit programs, attracted over 50 attendees. Visit their website for more information on events. Click here to read more on the recent workshop. For more information on tax credit programs visit our website.

Charitable Brothers Lodge No 1, Bunyan

William C. Boshen House,
Terra Ceia

Newbold-White House
Site will reopen April 1st

William Phillips House
Currently undergoing restoration

Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar recently announced that $46.9 million will be allotted to State Historic Preservation Offices across the United States in FY 2012. North Carolina’s share is $927,187 of which is directly distributed to Certified Local Governments in North Carolina through a competitive matching grants program. The remainder supports programs of the historic preservation office. Read more...

Rehabilitation of Union Square, established in the original 1792 plan for Raleigh, is one of many projects across the state that have been funded by the N.C. Department of Transportation Enhancement program. The State Historic Preservation Office worked diligently with members of the State Capitol Foundation to repair Union Square’s sidewalks and improve accessibility to the square and the capitol. Federal funding was matched 80/20 with additional monies from the N.C. Department of Administration’s accessibility remediation fund. Little & Little Landscape Architects of Raleigh designed the enhancement plan and assisted the Office of State Construction.
The Transportation Bill, currently under consideration by Congress, may endanger this type of funding. For more information on the Transportation Bill and what is at stake,
click here.
For more information about
the 2008 Capitol project. To learn more about the State Capitol Foundation.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 2012, the Franklin County Training School / Riverside Union School began as the Franklin County Training School, a 1928 Rosenwald Fund-assisted school for African American students. The original building burned in 1960, but a 1951 classroom building, known as the Porch Building, survived and continued to be used after the school became Riverside Union School. The Porch Building, a 1960 classroom building, and a 1964 cafeteria building, along with two buildings excluded from the nomination, continued as an African American school until the 1967 desegregation of county schools in North Carolina.

The Lincoln Park Historic District, a suburban Rocky Mount neighborhood of Minimal Traditional-style houses marketed to African American buyers, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on January 20, 2012. Construction began in 1948 and culminated with the Modernist motel and restaurant erected in 1953 for African American clientele during the segregationist period in Edgecombe County.

At its February 9, 2012, meeting, the North Carolina National Register Advisory Committee recommended the Williamson Page House in Morrisville, Wake County, for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. The house was built around 1830 and overbuilt and remodeled ca. 1876.  Today it consists of two sections: a two-story, one-room-deep front portion and two-story rear wing. A one-story hipped-roof porch, the property's most marked feature, spans the facade.  It is trimmed with jig sawn spandrels and a flat balustrade with vasiform design. This elaborate decoration, seen on only a handful of houses in the Morrisville area, makes the Page House architecturally significant in Wake County.

For more information on the National Register program visit our website.

RECENT NATIONAL REGISTER NOMINATIONS:

Pictured above are the multiple partners involved in improving our State Capitol’s access.